Sunday Salon - BBAW, Contests, Questionnaire

BookBloggerButton

Amy, the person behind the wonderful blog My Friend Amy, is hosting terrific event called Book Blogger Appreciation Week which will run from September 15 until September 19 2008. I think this will create a fantastic way for everyone to get together and give thanks, whether it be to you readers, or to your favourite bloggers. So no matter if you blog, read blogs or blog and read - take a stroll over to My Friend Amy and see what you can do to help celebrate this awesome event!

Don't forget to check out my contest to win a copy of So Long At The Fair by Christina Schwarz - Details here!

Also check out the awesome contest over at In The Shadow Of Mt. TBR where you can win a copy of Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers. And as if that's not enough, along with the book you will also receive a $10 gift card for Borders!

Now onto my Sunday reading, which is looking pretty minimal. Housework has taken priority this weekend so I don't have much to report.
So I have decided to steal borrow this cool reading questionnaire that I have seen on a few blogs lately (including The Bookworm, Lesa's Book Critiques and Patti's Pens & Picks) So go take a look at their answers and while your at it play along.

Reading Questionnaire


On your nightstand now: Lullabies For Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill, The Liar's Club by Mary Karr and The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder.

Book you've "faked" reading: In Junior High School I copied a friend's book report of To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Still haven't read it to this day.

9781582345642

Book you've bought for the cover: What The Dog Did by Emily Yoffe, I am a huge dog lover and happened across this book, took one look at the cover and bought it. It looked like one of those dog memoirs that became so popular after the release of Marley and Me by John Grogan, so I grabbed it without even reading the blurb!

Favourite book when you were a child: I loved most all books when I was little, but my favourite was Alice In Wonderland.

Book that changed your life: I would have to say it was the World Book Encyclopedia Set (not that I've read the whole thing, mind) going through school in Nova Scotia I was very frustrated that we were only taught history and geography relevant to Canada, so when I had a question or my interest was grabbed by a topic or place I grabbed the encyclopedia and looked it up myself, which taught me things I'd never learn in school.

Favourite line from a book: Wow I have so many favourite lines, but for this I will share a line from a book I read recently:
I am haunted by humans. - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This particular line has stayed with me so solidly since finishing the novel. As a single line it is simple, but taken together with the rest of the book it is so full of meaning,that it's heart-breaking.

Top 5 favourite authors: (at the moment)
1. Audrey Niffenegger
2. Margaret Atwood
3. Hunter S Thompson (really enjoying the Gonzo papers)
4. Dean Koontz (I recently discovered the Odd series)
5. AM Homes

Books you recommend as regeneration when people say, "I'm bored by almost all contemporary American writers.": Rather than recommend a specific author I suggest trying something from a Canadian author - There is lots of great canuck reading to be found!

Book you can't believe that everyone has not read and loved: Anything by Shakespeare, his plays contain some of the most engaging characters and plots (once you get the hang of the language and style).

Book you are an "evangelist" for: Most recent I would say is The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, I have faith that this book will become a worldwide favourite, and I cannot say enough good things about it.

Book you most want to read again for the first time: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.







© 2008-2010 Joanne Mosher of The Book Zombie. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

Literary Feline said...

The Book Blogger Appreciation Week is such a great idea, isn't it? I am looking forward to it.

My day has been full of more housework than I would have liked, I'm afraid. I haven't gotten in nearly as much reading as I planned. I'm blaming the animals this time. If only they helped out a little more. ;-)

I hope you have a great week!

Irish said...

I read the book thief earlier this year and found it to be a hauntingly good tale. So many great & memorable lines in that book.

I'd also recommend you reading To Kill a Mockingbird. Its an excellent read and I don't think that you'll regret it.

Anonymous said...

I am gonna check Amy and look out out for those contests!

I loved The Book Thief!

Do check out my Sunday Salon posts :D

SS 1: Review of The Dark Child

SS 2: Musings about books

Lesa said...

I'm going to admit I never read To Kill a Mockingbird either, and we even did it for a One Book last year. I still didn't read it. I don't know what my mental block is, but I can't get past it.

The Bookworm said...

Glad you played along too :)
that is a cute cover.
I love D.K. Odd Thomas series.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/