Wanted: Read or Alive (cheesy eh?)

 

Lately two things have been happening:

        1. I’ve been visiting the library a lot more.
        2. I’ve been completely broke

Which has led to a third thing:

        3. Much less book shopping.

But, things are looking good this month and I may just have some extra cash (burning a hole) in my wallet!

So in anticipation of the moment when I could return to the lovely world of book-buying, I have been keeping a list (or two) of books I desire.

Some are already out, some are coming soon. And I thought I would share. Anything on here look particularly appealing to you also? Or are there any that you would highly recommend?

 image[17] 
Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser
by William Irwin

I’ve always been an Alice fan, and recently having seen the movie I decided to check out what Alice related books are out there (aside from the originals of course). When I discovered that there was an Alice book in the And Philosophy series I was ecstatic! Did you realize that in the philosophy section of the bookstores you can find books about almost every pop culture phenomenon?

image[17]

Beautiful Dead Book 1: Jonas
by Eden Maguire

Jenn's Bookshelves said that “Maguire’s writing style is very readable and flows well.” And “I recommend it to fans of YA and the paranormal.

Tales of a Capricious Reader said “Well…there are some good parts and some not so good parts.” But also added that “…Eden Maguire has a way with a story.  I’ll be interested to see how she grows as a writer.

Dark Faerie Tales says “This mixture of the paranormal and the romantic delivers a tale of dark secrets, loss, and redemption.”

image[17] 
Feed
by Mira Grant

Last summer I read a fantastic paranormal book called Rosemary and Rue which was written by Seanan Maguire. Then I found out that Seanan was writing another series, this time about zombie(!) and under the name Mira Grant. I’m desperate to read this because (a) I ♥ zombies and (b) Seanan rocks! And I was super excited to read about the awesome review Feed received from Publisher’s Weekly – Seanan liked this line “Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness” but I was fond of this part “appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what’s true and what’s reported.”

image[17]

Dead End Gene Pool
by Wendy Burden

 

One of the good and not-so-good things about going to school is the free access to journals, magazines, and databases. Mainly because it allows me to browse certain library/literary journals such as BookList – good because it feeds my addiction to know about upcoming releases, bad because it makes my wishlist grow and grow and grow!
I’m not sure what to expect from this book however I read this line from the description “the great-great-great-great granddaughter of Cornelius Vanderbilt gives readers a grand tour of the world of wealth and WASPish peculiarity, in her irreverent and darkly humorous memoir” and just knew it would be a fascinating story.

image[17] 
The Passage
by Justin Cronin

 

This is a book I only found out about yesterday, from the fabulous blogger Lenore. Just this February Lenore had a special event call Dystopian February which had my wishlist practically trembling with fear. But the book I am most lusting after is The Passage which earned this rating - “4 Zombie Chickens: An Excellent Example of the Dystopian (Post-Apocalyptic) Genre”



© 2008-2010 Joanne Mosher of The Book Zombie. All rights reserved.

16 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read any of them, but I've heard a lot of buzz about all of them. I hope you do get to go book shopping!

Veens said...

I am going to act as if I did not read this post at all. I am on a book-buying ban.. and more books adding to my wishlist is going to make it VERY difficult to follow this BAN!

I so want Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser! See this is why I did not want to read this post!

Vasilly said...

The Passage is definitely on my TBR list! I can't wait until it's published in June. I've read both positive and negative reviews about Beautiful Dead. Will read it soon.

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I LOVE the title of your post! Thanks for the link to my Beautiful Dead review!

I've been going a little crazy with book buying, especially with books from the UK (thank goodness for the Book Depository's free shipping!).

THE PASSAGE is definitely on my "most wanted" list. Just a few more months til its released! And, based on your recommendation, I'm going to check out FEED. I, too, am a fan of the walking undead :)

Lenore Appelhans said...

As I was telling Trish, THE PASSAGE might have gotten 5 Zombie Chickens but for the fact I was mad it was the first book in a triology and I have to wait to read the rest!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

TLC Book Tours is doing a book tour of Dead End Gene Pool, if you want to join. I'm not sure if they have any left, but I got e-mailed about it 3 or 4 days ago. The book looks really great, I'm excited!

vvb32 reads said...

don't know if you already know but there is a giveaway for the Alice book http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/03/alice-in-whatsitland-departure.html

Ana S. said...

NOT cheesy!

Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy really appeals to me too.

Susan said...

I've been waiting to read Seanan's book since you reviewed it last year!!! Now it's been nominated for an Edgar and I still haven't read it!!! I can't find a copy, will have to go through Amazon I think. so now of course her zombie book is added....and I'm curious about The Passage.....you are so bad for my books to buy list!!! it's wonderful to have you back!!!

Anonymous said...

Not only haven't I read any of these, I haven't even heard of them! Although the cover of The Beautiful Dead does look a little familiar.

Zibilee said...

Oh my! My wish list has grown after reading this post! I think all of these sound very interesting, for very different reasons. I, too, am really excited about The Passage and I am also really interested in Dead End Gene Pool. The others are new to me, but they sound so, so good! Thanks for letting us peek into your wish list. I hope you are able to add all of these selections to your collection very soon, and I will be interested in hearing what you think of them!

B.Kienapple said...

Cool Alice book!
I don't know if you've read this one yet but I just got The Girl With the Glass Feet and I'm excited to read it. Also, if you haven't read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo yet, I highly recommend the series.

Ceri said...

The Alice philosophy book look fascinating! I love the Alice books and really enjoyed the film. :D

Unknown said...

I am definitely looking forward to reading The Passage. It might just be THE book of the year to read.

The Bookworm said...

happy reading, that looks like a great list. Beautiful Dead sounds interesting.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Kailana said...

Happy buying! Enjoy your reading. :)